Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 12:28:04
DAKAR,TradeEdge Senegal (AP) — Mutinous soldiers in Gabon said Wednesday they were overturning the results of a presidential election that was to extend the Bongo family’s 55-year hold on power.
The central African country’s election committee announced that President Ali Bongo Ondimba, 64, had won the election with 64% of the vote early Wednesday morning. Within minutes, gunfire was heard in the center of the capital, Libreville.
A dozen uniformed soldiers appeared on state television later the same morning and announced that they had seized power.
“We reaffirm our commitment to respecting Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community,” said a spokesperson for the group, whose members were drawn from the gendarme, the republican guard and other factions of the security forces.
Bongo was seeking a third term in elections this weekend. He served two terms since coming to power in 2009 after the death of his father, Omar Bongo, who ruled the country for 41 years. Another group of mutinous soldiers attempted a coup in January 2019, while Bongo was in Morocco recovering from a stroke, but they were quickly overpowered.
In the election, Bongo faced an opposition coalition led by economics professor and former education minister Albert Ondo Ossa, whose surprise nomination came a week before the vote.
There were concerns about post-election violence, due to deep-seated grievances among the population of some 2.5 million. Nearly 40% of Gabonese ages 15-24 were out of work in 2020, according to the World Bank.
After last week’s vote, the Central African nation’s Communications Minister, Rodrigue Mboumba Bissawou, said on state television that there would be a nightly curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. He said internet access was being restricted indefinitely as there had been calls for violence and efforts to spread disinformation.
Every vote held in Gabon since the country’s return to a multi-party system in 1990 has ended in violence. Clashes between government forces and protesters following the 2016 election killed four people, according to official figures. The opposition said the death toll was far higher.
Fearing violence, many people in the capital went to visit family in other parts of the country before the election or left Gabon altogether. Others stockpiled food or bolstered security in their homes.
___
Associated Press reporters Cara Anna in Nairobi Kenya and Jamey Keaton in Geneva Switzerland contributed.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Kentucky Senate panel advances bill to encourage cutting-edge research
- Republicans vote to make it harder to amend Missouri Constitution
- Federal Reserve officials caution against cutting US interest rates too soon or too much
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Wendy Williams diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia
- U.S. charges head of Russian bank with sanctions evasion, arrests 2 in alleged money laundering scheme
- Meet RDDT: Popular social platform Reddit to sell stock in an unusual IPO
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- A man accused of stabbing another passenger on a Seattle to Las Vegas flight charged with assault
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Baylor hosts Houston is top showdown of men's college basketball games to watch this weekend
- Collapse of illegal open pit gold mine in Venezuelan jungle leaves multiple people dead
- Watch melted during atomic blast over Hiroshima sells for more than $31,000
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Alabama patient says embryo ruling has derailed a lot of hope as hospital halts IVF treatments
- Can you make calls using Wi-Fi while AT&T is down? What to know amid outage
- California man arrested and accused of threatening Arizona election worker after 2022 vote
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
He moved in with his grandmas during COVID. Now, they're all going to the Oscars
On decades-old taped call, Eagles manager said ‘pampered rock star’ was stalling band biography
A man accused of stabbing another passenger on a Seattle to Las Vegas flight charged with assault
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
The Daily Money: Jeff Bezos unloads more Amazon stock
U.S. warns Russia against nuclear-capable anti-satellite weapon
DeSantis calls takeover of Disney government a ‘success’ despite worker exodus, litigation